Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Code 10 When installing video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deluxe2481

Vendor
Mar 13, 2005
US
I am putting in my Nvidia geforce 2 Mx 400 Pci into another computer. When I did this and it installed I get a "This device cannot start(Code 10)," problem. I got the latest drivers and I have tried uninstalling it and then reinstalling . I wanted to know if anybody has any suggestions.
Any help is appreciated

Try the older NVidia drivers. There has been many reports about incompatibility since NVidia has adopted a single driver package for all cards. See if that helps.

I hope this helps

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Try assigning an IRQ the the VGA adapter in the machines BIOS. I seem to remeber that some mobo/NVidia VGA combinations needed this. The settings in the bios is normally just enable/dissable.

Check this page from NVidias site:

I'm assuming that you are receiving this error message in Windows since you referred to having the latest drivers.

Did you remove the previous video card's installation from Device Manager? Are you sure the previous card or integrated video on the motherboard is disabled in the BIOS?

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

I'm trying to put this video card in a Dell computer. Now I went to the BIOS and I couldn't find where it said Assign IRQ to VGA. I went to the device manager and the GeForce2 has the same IRQ as the intergrated video card. I don't know if that is a problem have them have the same IRQ though. I don't want to disable the intergrated video card and then not have the GeForce work and not be able to work or see anything. I also couldn't find the integrated video on the motherboard in the BIOS.
Any help is appreciated

I also couldn't find the integrated video on the motherboard in the BIOS

It's in there. The setting probably isn't called "integrated" or "onboard" video. However, look at each setting carefully instead of skimming through. One should give you the option to "use PCI" or something of that nature for video.

I went to the device manager and the GeForce2 has the same IRQ as the intergrated video card

You have correctly identified the problem. They can't have the same IRQ. That's why it's best to have the integrated one disabled in the BIOS (some BIOS's require you to do so if you want Windows to properly detect and use the PCI card).

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

cdogg is correct. You needn't fear not having a display as the BIOS will recognize your new card and display any data. The only way to run 2 video cards at the same time is to assign them different IRQs or to disable one. If the new card is an upgrade, go ahead and disable the integrated card in the BIOS. This will eliminate the Code10 on the nvidia. Then all you will have to do is install the appropriate drivers. If the drivers you installed work, great, you are done.

Thank you guys for trying to help me. I appreciated it very much.

Still have problem though. Ok, in the BIOS I found the Primary Video Controller under the Intergrated Devices. The only options that it gives me is Auto or Onboard. When I have it on auto and turn on the computer the monitor doesn't turn on until the computer gets to the Login screen in window when you pick a profile. When it is on Onboard it loads right up so I am leaving it on onboard. However, I disabled the integrated video card in the device manager. Then reinstalled the Geforce2 and I still get a code 10 problem. When I turn on the computer with the integrated disabled the video is very low screen resolution. Whenever I put the monitor plug into the GeForce2 I get no video on the monitor at all. So I am wondering if the GeForce2 video card is broken or something like that.

What's the make/model of your Dell. I'm sure it's in the manual.

Also, if it is the card that's not being detected properly by the BIOS, then trying a different PCI slot can help.

~cdogg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back