Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cobol Troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

tr0n

ISP
Aug 19, 2005
US
Anyone know anything about Liants RM/COBOL? I'm having some trouble getting it to work right under Windows XP.

I am not familiar with RM last years but when you want to run old applications, try to use FORCEDOS as first keyword on the commandline. It works many times.

Regards,

Crox

I know as do many other users here.

What is your version, and what is the exact problem you are having.

I have several versions working with XP and all work fine.

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

XP has a compatability mode. Might try the XP Professional Forum

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

It's version 8.0.1? I believe. When I try to run it, I get an error 401 code and then it just shuts down. I tried compatability modes and nothing seemed to work. What gives? I would love to post the exact error wording and my particular setup for the shortcut to run, but sadly, I have already wiped the drive in an effort to make it run under Windows 2000 Pro, since all the other machines in the office operate under that with no problems.

Well. it's too late now to try anything isn't it?

Try and get a new machine with XP on it, install your progrmas and then run them to see if you still get the error.

If you do then come back to us for help.

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

tr0n,

Have you contacted Liant Technical Support? What were you told?

A 401 error is a configuration error that is detected as the application begins. The cause of the configuration error must be corrected before it is meaningful to continue to run the application, so "it just shuts down." The cause of a 401 error is documented in Appendix A of the RM/COBOL User's Guide. Certainly nothing in the description of the error would lead me to believe that reformatting a drive would somehow correct the problem.

Tom Morrison

Well, I don't know anything about Cobol and the guy who set all of this up before I came here is already long gone. I tried different types of installs and even copying all files along with extracted reg keys to the new system and that didn't work either. Compatability modes were a no go as well. Since I'm limited in my options from a lack of knowledge in this region, I figure why not just try it with 2000 since the rest of the systems use it and run just fine.

Ok, after I completed my reinstall, I still have the same error. Guess some things just can't be fixed that easily. The exact error is as follows:

COGOL Configuration Error 410. Error processing configuration.

A message box also pops up that says:
Program 'CAS' terminated with return code 251. COBOL error code 410.

The shortcut I am using (which is the same as all of the other machines) is as follows:
"C:\Program Files\RMCOBOL\runcobol.exe" i:\CAS\PGM\CAS t=0 k C=RMPAN2W.CFG

Start in: I:\cas\pgm
(Network drive is mapped correctly.)

Any ideas now?

Well, 410 is different that 401...

I provided a link to the RM/COBOL User's Guide above. It is time to use it.

Checking Appendix A, you will find that error 410 is "Configuration file not found." The configuration file is named RMPAN2W.CFG.

Was this application created in-house, or licensed from a vendor?

Tom Morrison

As I've stated, I'm pretty in the dark myself on this matter. The program I'm trying to run here is from a vendor I believe. Highland Lakes Software, Ltd. or some such.

Contact Highland Lakes Software technical support. I think you will find them more helpful than I can be, since from this point there are application-specific details that they will know. 512-266-1424.

Tom Morrison

Thanks Tom. Your a business saver. :)

XP has a compatability mode. That might help. I have played 16 bit games on my xp box.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

If it's anything from the 16-bit Windows or DOS era, it won't play well with long file names. For example, Fujitsu COBOL 3.0. It will work in XP very well, except that it can not reside in a LFN directory or work with files that are LFNs.

The RMPAN2W.CFG is assumed to be in the same directory as where your application is installed (because the "C=" parameter does not list a pathname).

The RMPAN2W.CFG is typically found in the same directory as where your RM/COBOL runtime is installed. In your case, the runtime is installed in "C:\Program Files\RMCOBOL". You can try copying the RMPAN2W.CFG file from that directory into your application directory or change the C=RMPAN2W.CFG in the command line to read C="C:\Program Files\RMCOBOL\RMPAN2W.CFG".

Let me know how that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back