Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

COBOL Forms 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuzCubfan

Programmer
Oct 1, 2000
US
I am in an advanced COBOL class. Are the forms still made anymore? If so, where?

Thanks,

Hi Suz,

They still may be around, but I haven't seen them in over 20 yrs. BTW, which forms are you asking about? The coding or print layout forms and why do you care about forms? I guess a print layout form has some value to count positions.
But the ruler in your editor should do as good a job.

Good luck. Jack

P.S.
I have a mainframe cobol pgm that creates cobol data definition statements from a layout file. In the layout file you "paint" the page the way you want it to look in the report. If you're interested, let me know.

Hi Jack,

Actually I like the print layout forms. For me it's so much easier to lay out my report on paper. I've seen the forms in a very old text book and my professor had a couple old ones herself.

Thanks for the information.

Suzanne

Hi,

You still can make them yourself,using some editor, the courier font and doing something like:

- - - + - - - 1 - - - + - - - 2 - - - + - - - 3....
|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|

Regards,

Crox

A company called 'Tops' still makes a 'printout design' form #3607. They can be used for any form design. You can probably find them through any business form supply company. Office Depot may carry something similar.

Actually in the COBOL class I take, its REQUIRED we create both the pseudocode and the printer spacing chart for each assignment (the spacing chart helps me out alot actually), but I'm not sure where you could find them on-line (if worse comes to worse, I could try and scan it in.. however its an oversized piece of paper so it would be both a large file and a difficult print-out) Chris Green
Computer Information Systems Student
Cayuga Community College -- Fulton

It's really very easy to create both coding forms and printer layout forms if you have access to a spreadsheet program like Excel. Just run the column numbers across the top in a small font rotated ninety degrees to the left and the row numbers down the left. Then select the whole worksheet and turn on all the lines. You can even shade different parts of the form such as area A or blocks of three or four lines at a time by filling them and filling with a light background color..

Hope this helps. Betty Scherber
Brainbench MVP for COBOL II

Suzanne,

The TOPS form referenced above is a special order item. They still have them in the warehouse but they are not in the catalog.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back