Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cobol error

Status
Not open for further replies.

meth

Technical User
Nov 12, 2002
GB
I compile my cobol program with no errors then when i go to run it it tells me there is an execution errror 163, pc=14d, call=1, seg=0 then it says illegal character in the numeric field. I have tired severval things but i have no clue how to fix it.

Meth,

Your problem is (as it says) a non numeric in a numeric field (eg. spaces in a PIC 9); you will get this error when you try to access this field (eg. within a mathematical statement).
The pc=14d call=1 seg=0 is the address of the problem and you will need a compiled listing of your program with a memory address mapping list down either side of your code in order to track down the delinquent field. If you can't get this listing I would advise you desk check your code and make sure all your working storage (numeric) variables are initialize correctly. You may have initialised as spaces at a group level or not initialized at all. If you still can't track down the problem and you don't have a way whereby you can 'animate' your code within your IDE I suggest you place 'displays' within your code and track down the problem the old-fashioned way. If this is a new program you are likely to have the same problem elsewhere, if it's a program you are altering (and worked ok in the past) the problem will be around the bit you have altered.
Good Luck.

Meth
This is a problem (feature?) with some compilers. When I was writing MF CobolII on CTOS, the error was never generated. I am now on MF NetExpress 3.1, and I will get this error if I don't initialize my numeric fields with zero or numeric values. There is also a project level option that, if set, the IDE and run-time will ignore the error (so I always set it).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back