Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cobol can not this and that..... pffff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crox

Programmer
Apr 3, 2000
NL
Can anybody chis correct google search with its nonsense like below?

In 1981 I started with Realia COBOL 2.0 and it was already able to do dynamic memory allocation. It had a machine level interface so one was for example able to read the status of the keyboard. I had a program that opened a backdoor when both shift keys were pushed at the same time. Only recursion was not possible with that compiler at that time within its own run-unit, but calling itself by accessing the exe file, was not a problem..... On the other hand, it can be easy but it is almost never really important and allocating memory that is not there anymore, is often generating errors.....

When you open a file, the record definition is normally dynamically allocated, also since the earliest compilers....

I am a bit tired of COBOL bashing by people that don't know almost nothing about anything like Google seems to do here.

Thanks for anyone reading this! 😂

Why is COBOL not popular?
Compared to common programming languages today, COBOL is different, and in some ways very limited: you can't do dynamic memory allocation, you can't easily access low-level features of the operating system or particular computer architecture. The most common forms of the language can't use recursion.20 Apr 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back