Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CNR1 and DSL Internet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

violetta

Technical User
Feb 13, 2005
US
I finally signed up for DSL, but I couldn’t connect with the RJ 47 cable. I had to connect with the USB cable. I don’t want to use up my USB ports, so I bought a hub. However I still want to be able to use the other cable. The DSL company and I finally realized it was something in my computer. When I installed my network card, mysteriously, two appeared. I had no port for the cable until I installed the card. So I read up on the motherboard. It has a CNR1. Is that the trouble? Is there some way I can use it with no port? Can I fix it where I can still use the RJ 47 cable? I sure hope someone can help me.

You can completely ignore any reference you may have seen to 'CNR' - it's a horrible old standard for dialup modems = useless!

The reason you've found 2 network adapters is that when using a USB to connect a modem (any, not just DSL - but they're the most common) - the driver installs a 'virtual' software network adapter - one of the biggest reasons to use the ethernet connection (which I'm sure u meant is RJ45, not RJ47).

They'll be no good way of using it 'with no port' - it needs plugging in!

The way you've gone about it is spot on - using ethernet, through a PCI card is (at least IMHO) much better than USB, for various reasons.

Is the trouble that you still can't connect to the modem/router when using ethernet (cos you don't actually say in ur post)?

If you still can't connect even when using ethernet - you should be able to just go through the connection setup wizard (from internet options>connections). Choose to 'connect to the internet'>set up my connection manually>connect using a broadband connection that is always on. As long as you're using XP, that is, Win9x are different.

That should see you connecting OK - as long as you've set ur ADSL modem/router up properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back