Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CNET/Download.com have cleaned up their act! 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

2ffat

Programmer
Oct 23, 1998
US
According to How To Geek, CNET/Download.com is no longer bundling PUPs with the software they serve.

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

Excellent! They must have received my harshly worded email. The system does work.

[bigsmile]

That's great news indeed! Mainly because they cornered the market on an easy to remember site for folks: download.com.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Too late. Damage is done. I have other places to download things. Why should I change back since they might slip things back in at any time?

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Just stumbled on this. Read the Geek page. Went to check Download.com with my trusty Firefox+NoScript+uBlock Origin. Unblocked cnet domain and Download.com obvious domains. Got a working page without hassle.

Tried downloading CCleaner - download button does not work. Checked what else to unblock in NoScript : waaayyyy to much stuff there for me to risk it.

Conclusion : [thumbsdown] Download.com may have removed the installer, but it's still a crapshoot where security is concerned.

Not taking Cnet off my bad list yet.

I've got nothing to hide, and I demand that you justify what right you have to ask.

Thanks for sharing your post-article results, pmonett. I hadn't tried it yet, myself. I so wish we could absolutely trust it. It used to be so easy to tell people, "just go to download.com..."

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back