Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CMYK problem 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

annconroy

Instructor
Apr 28, 2006
CA
I have a document that has 85% K (grey) in the text. There is no Cyan, Magenta or Yellow in the document. When I send it to my printer (printing company for press) in .eps format, he can only read it in CMYK. Does anyone know what I can to to fix this problem. Would changing the 85% K to a pantone color help?

Thanks,

Ann

What is wrong with reading 85% black in a CMYK file? Is the printer also reading coverage in the other CMY channels?

They do not want to print grey text using CMYK. They want a straight 85% black. Do you know if I should use Pantone, Spot or Process color, or is there another choice.

This is something you need to work out with your printer. There is more at play here than you are explaining.

When one specifies 85% of a standard process color, they are specifying a tint, not a spot color. If both you and your printer want to print a 100% gray spot color, specify a 100% gray spot color in your design and forget about 85% black.

It is perfectly appropriate to use a CMYK file to render an 85% tint of black artwork, even if only one channel of that CMYK file is being used.

This helps. Can you direct me in how to go about setting a 100% grey in spot color.

Thank you!

Pantone Cool Gray 10 is pretty close to 75% black. Use a spot of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back