Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CMS and RTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zowwie438

Programmer
Aug 27, 2004
US
Howdy all! Well here I am with another odd question again.

I need to get ready/not ready status results for our agents on my CTI app.

I tried getting our PBX team to turn on a global feature on the PBX to send me these, however they are telling me we have to purchase a whole new avaya product. :( I think its _s, but it's not my call. So that option is closed.

My second option was to use a openlink ODBC driver to connect to informix on the CMS server and get the data that way.

However... I learned today that there is a RTA feature of CMS that allows it to send three distinct data streams to a remote server.

I can also create multiple threads and vt100 screen scrape CMS... But this is a very ugly coding approach. :(

Obviously... I think the RTA stream is the best option for me at this time. So with that in mind, here are my questions:

1) How does this data show up? I assume it's standard TCP socket streams. Are there any avaya pdfs that tell me how the data is formated?

2) Most systems that utilize the RTA streams also use an ODBC driver as well. I am not sure why? Any thoughts?

3) Has anyone else created their own customer listeners for RTA data from CMS? If so, did u do it in .net, c++, perl, python??? Willing to share some source code?

4) How difficult is it to specify a new RTA server or listener inside CMS? Is this simply done through the admin tools on CMS Terminal?

Thanks,

==Zow

Well,

ODBC is only available for the CMS's historical Informix data. There is no ODBC interface to the CMS's real-time database as this is not in Informix

The CMS RTA feed is an optional extra from Avaya CS&I. therefore is not free.

1) Yes, the data is sent via a TCP socket and can be customised for you by Avaya and no there are no official public pdfs as this is not a standard feature of CMS, well none that I have found!

2) The RTA is used for a real-time data. ODBC is to get the Historical data.

3) No real point as RTA is solution rather than a end user feature.

4) Without purchasing the RTA interface there is nothing to configure.

Hope this helps.

"Been there, done that and got the teeshirt

multibus,

Thanks for the input. Actually on Friday I was able to get the odbc driver working, but only to read you post that says it's only historical data.

I do however have one last quick route and possibly a freebie route. As we used to have a lightlink application that utilized an RTA server. That solution has since been removed, so I am hoping that I can simply assume the old IP address and receive the appropriate socket streams.

My plan is to assume that IP on a linux box and utilize tcpdump on the eth0 so that I can see the various data coming in based on port. From that, I should be able to get a handle on what format it's in and build an appropriate listener application.

I was really hoping however to find some PDF docs associated with the RTA stuff. :( Are you saying that there is nothing out there? No where?

I ask that because... Avaya is normally pretty good at documentation.

Thanks again for your input bus... If anyone else has input on RTA docs... Please post.

Thanks,

==Zow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back