Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CMOS Settings change without reason 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

webcore

Technical User
Jan 17, 2003
GB
I have recently purchased a brand new ECS K7S5A motherboard & an Athlon 2000+XP processor.

I have fresh installed my OS (Win XP) and everything was running fine, until I booted up yesterday.

During the sytem check at start-up, my comp beeps twice and tells me that I have incorrect CMOS settings and incorrect memory settings. I correct the BUS speeds from 100mhz back to 133mhz - as it should be for an Athlon XP processor. I save the changes when I exit CMOS, but still my comp seems to forget my settings. Also the time and date in Windows XP keeps changing and all my hardware is detected again.

This fault occurs about once in every 5 boot-up's.

This leads me to think that I need to replace the battery on the motherboard, but the board is brand new!? I've heard a couple of bad comments about this motherboard, but surely it comes supplied with a fully charged battery!?

Web Design Beyond Limitations....

Definitely try replacing the CMOS batteries, sounds like you got a bad one. Jennifer Sigman
STILL unemployed...

Your dealer should replace the battery if its bad, surely the board is under warranty?( The battery should last for years) If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

I may be wrong, but a battery should last at least 2 years, and maybe up to 5 years. I have seen motherboards that just refuse to be fixed when this happens. It is kind of hit and miss. If this motherboard is fairly new the battery should not be having problems. If it is it could be a bad motherboard.

I wonder if it is a faulty power supply also. Sometimes a power supply will fluctuate or have intermittent problems. A clock needs a steady flow of power to keep accurate time. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Don't forget to check for a new Bios flash. I've never owned an ECS, but my friends that do say don't buy the board unless atleast the 2nd rev of the Bios is out. Could be a flaky flash from the manufacture. Be cool in school when you're flashing the bios, or you will be hunting the nearest repair center.
Good luck

I have the same board, and had the same issue for a few weeks. I replaced the battery, and everytime I shut the system down, the bios would fall back to defaults. I wish I could tell you what changed, about the only other thing I did was to work on the little metal clamp that holds the battery down - so far, in the past week - all settings have stayed. 'If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you.'

check tour motherboard and find out if their is a jumper that reads clear cmos if so check to see if its in its defalt setting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back