Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CMOS Checksum error-defaults loaded

Status
Not open for further replies.

TornPhoenix

Technical User
Nov 27, 2004
US
I get this error message when trying to boot up on a new pc i built. Also, recently, when i power on the PC it will only stay on for a few seconds... Anyone help?

Your CMOS battery has died. Replace and set all the BIOS entries, and you should be set.

I'll have to get that later. But for some reason the computer won't stay on for more than a few seconds, any thoughts on that?

If your BIOS settings are wrong, your computer will quit! That's why I said to replace the battery.

Processor overheating maybe? - Is the processor heat sink mounted correctly & is the fan working?

I got a new CMOS battery, still gives me the same error. I reseated the processor and heatsink/fan and got it to power on. I can get to BIOS settings. Load the defaults, Save and Exit. Then the screen goes off, the computer seems to reboot, but nothing comes on the screen. I've tried booting to a cd but it just hangs at a blinking underscore not booting at all.

In BIOS setup, is the hard drive set as "auto"? Does your setup have a "Hard Drive Detect"? If so, try it and see if it matches the settings on the hard drive itself. "Defaults" may not be detecting the HDD properly. I had a system last night that wouldn't detect the HDD, so I had to enter the parameters printed on the Hard Drive. In the boot sequence, any physical problem with the HDD can prevent the computer from booting.

It does the same thing even if the HDD isn't even hooked in. ...

Is this a new mother board, or one that is known to work OK?

It's a brand new motherboard, AOpen n250a-FR mobo....i'm not too sure about AOpen but I thought I'd give them a try

Best advice to troubleshoot this is to set the motherboard up ON the box it came in, hook up a power supply and put in a video card, CPU, and memory.....NOTHING else.

This will isolate the system its most BARE essentials. If the system comes on and behaves normally then you can start tracing the problem back to the other components and/or the case.

I have motherboards that would just NOT behave in a particular case and had to be put in another. I mean, I guess it can be troubleshot if you want to invest the time, but since I have so many cases it was nothing to just simply choose another.

I suspect this will give you your answer...

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back