Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cmd prompt title

Status
Not open for further replies.

xwb

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
GB
On most of the systems I use, the title of the cmd prompt is normally C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe. I can then change the title to whatever I like using title.

On one of the W7 systems, the title is Administrator: cmd. If I set the title to fred, I get Administrator: fred instead of just fred. The thing is it isn't even the administrator: it is a user called stduser.

It looks like a registry setting of some sort but I can't figure out where it is. Any idea how I can get rid of the word Administrator from the cmd prompt title?

If a Command Prompt is launched with Administrator privileges you will always have the Title preceded by the word "Administrator". I think it is by Design, but I could be wrong on that.

That is correct. The Administrator legend in the title is so you know the command prompt is being run as an Administrator. The way to remove it would be to go into the shortcut's Properties and remove the "Run as Administrator" checkbox from the Advanced dialog under the Shortcut tab.

Assuming of course it is being run from a Shortcut.

If you are running it from the Right Click option of Run as Administrator then it will always be there.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

They must have done something to cmd.exe. It is not being invoked from a shortcut. I'm invoking is using windows+r, typing cmd and return.

Another possibility is that you have UAC disabled. When this happens cmd will run in Administrator mode always.

To verify this, go to Start->Search and type in UAC.

The only result should be the User Account Control utility. In there make sure the slider is NOT set to the bottom position (which would be disabled).

You'll need to restart for changes to take effect.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Thanks. I'm off site today: I'll try that when I'm back on site tomorrow.

More on this - it is Windows 7 Embedded: not standard windows 7. Don't have any other W7 embedded systems that I can check. Maybe this is standard in W7 embedded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back