Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CMD in Run Command Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DedMeet

Technical User
Jul 23, 2003
CA
Is there anyway around this. If an administrator locks this feature. When you click Run and type in CMD hit enter says the command is locked by administrator, is their a way around this? I used to get around it by using progman but that is locked and wont run as well. Anyone know any other ideas to get a dos prompt? We are running 2003 Server and XP Pro on all the machines connected to the server. Any ideas be great please and thank you.

-DedMeet

Can you run COMMAND.COM?

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

Never think of the obvious heh.. Thank you Thelad

There's a way to add command prompt access to Windows Explorer. One method involves involves editing the registry. You can find it on Microsoft's site at
To add the Command Prompt command to the shortcut menu: 1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
2. Locate the following registry key:
HKEY_CLASES_ROOT\Directory\shell
3. Right-click the shell key, point to New, and then click Key.
4. Name the new key OpenNew.
5. Click the OpenNew key, and then double-click the Default value in the right pane.
6. Change the value to Command Prompt. Click OK.
7. Right-click the OpenNew key, point to New, and then click Key.
8. Name the new key Command.
9. Double-click the Default item in the right pane.
10. Change the value to cmd.exe /k cd %1.

Another method I've seen involves installing something like the "Open Command Window Here" powertoy for Windows XP. I couldn't find one for Server 2003 on Microsoft's site but I know I've seen an installer/executable that will automate this process.

Depending on how CMD has been locked down, this may not work for you either since it also just runs CMD. Have you checked the permissions on the file? Maybe the "Read and Execute" permission needs to be changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back