Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CM3.3 to Unity 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterd51

Technical User
Feb 22, 2005
GB
Hi,

we have a hundred+ users who have VM working OK...

spare 'licences' available...

but any new users that are set up now aren't working.

When the call goes to Unity the caller gets a string of messages one after the other:

'sorry 'extension' not available, please leave a message after the tone', followed by:

'there's a system error', followed by:

'connecting you to the operator', followed by:

'there's no operator available'.

Eventually they get the tone to leave the message.

Any ideas please?

Regards
Peter

You might want to do a stare and compare between working and none working user, make sure all partitions, search scope etc match up.

Is unity unified messaging or stand alone? If unified what message store and version? Have you run a permissions wizard if unified?

Hi trvlr1,

thanks but I tried that.

Hi whykap,

sorry but I didn't understand any of that.

What do I look for to see if it's 'unified'?

Ah, do you mean on the same server? No they're on two separate windows servers.

I've worked at this company for about six weeks and set up a couple of users previously, no problem, but since last week it's not working for any new users. I'm there for one more week and I'd like to sort it out before I leave.

Regards
Peter

Unified would be if the voice mails go into your email server and accessible through your email.
If you can only check them through your phone then it is stand alone.

Hi whykap,

thanks for the update.

Any ideas on the problem please?

I guess it plays the first prompt and then tries to switch to the 'recording' part but something's missing and it can't find what it needs, so it then goes on the play the other messages in turn...

I've tried to clone another working phone / user but nothing seems to work.

Regards
Peter

Can you answer my questions above so we can help? Otherwise it will be a total guess.

Sounds as if the greeting (most likely the standard greeting) is NOT set to the call action of Take Message but sending it to the Call Handler Operator. The caller will still hear "Record your message at the tone" and soon after sent over to the Call Handler Operator. Go into one of these problem mailboxes and check the standard greeting configuration.

Hi whykap,

sorry, I thought I'd answered your question... the two boxes are separate and there's no connection to anything else such as emails.

Hi ethereal112,

thanks for the suggestion. I think the 'take message' is set but that's something for me to check on Monday morning.

We did have a weird problem last week with calls to Unity ending up on the Emergency Operator (999) due to some numpty setting up an 'example operator' with a phone number of '99991'...

and somehow that got switched on at the 'goodbye message' so if a caller pressed any key while the outgoing message was running they got a new prompt 'press 1 to send this message' and it went to that example operator...

we have no idea how that happened so there could be other odd things enabled or disabled.

Regards
Peter

Hi,

thanks for the suggestions but everything is set as it should be and it still isn't working.

Looks like I'll be leaving this contract at the end of the week with this unresolved...

I don't like doing that but it's one of several problems that I can't sort out (though all of the others are due to lack of money for decent kit)!

Regards
Peter

If you still have time? I would suggest using port status monitoring tool to see what the callers are hitting when voice mail does answer.

Hi,

sorry for the delay, I've been off-site for a couple of days...but I now have a contract extension for another couple of weeks so I have time to play with the Unity.

I found a 'tools' folder, tried DBwalker and this found a number of errors on the three usernames that I've set up:

'1527:(error) smtpAddress value for subscriber is NULL.' followed by details about MS 2000/2003 servers causing this, then 'you can add their SMTP address in the Subscriber table in UnityDB in SQL'

But I've no idea where to find this or how to do it. I've scanned through the folders but nothing looks like a database.

Also:

'1381:(warning) Private list has a NULL display name. This can be fixed by selecting a display name for this list on the Private Lists page of this subscriber in the SA

1384:(warning) private list contains no members'

I don't want private lists but I can't see where to turn this feature off.

I tried the port status tool and I can see my call coming in OK.

Regards
Peter

Hi,

sorted it!

Basically the MS Exchange server is supposed to send an 'alias' to the Unity Server when creating a new user and it isn't doing that.

I found the 'toolbox' and dbWalker, that showed my three new users and the missing aliases with an error code...

that lead me via Google to a doc on Cisco showing how to edit the SQL DB to add in the aliases of the users that I'd created and they all worked.

Now it's down to the Server Team to sort out why their MS boxes don't talk to each other (I hate working on servers, PC's, etc!).

Thanks for your suggestions!

Regards
Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back