Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CM 7.x LSP on Core CM 5.2.1 PBX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinney

IS-IT--Management
Nov 29, 2004
US

Does anyone out there have a CM 7.x LSP deployed in a gateway that connects back to a core CM 5.2.1 system?

Is it compatible? Will it receive translations okay? I'm getting conflicting answers.

Thanks.

- Stinney

“The man who asks a question is a fool for a minute, the man who does not ask is a fool for life.” - Confucius

Officially? I -think- (without evidence) that you can officially support one version back.
That being said, I've deployed your scenario a few times before bigger upgrades and it worked A-OK. I just doubt it is supported if you had a problem and asked Avaya about it.

A quick look at some solution notes from Avaya show that CM R6 with earlier releases of CM (such as 5.2) are compatible. There can be concerns though over firmware compatibility and possibly the filesync process.

Another solution note says that you just have to make sure the LSPs are equal or higher.

I've heard of people having issue with latest 7.x gateway firmware with older releases, so you may look okay in standard/healthy mode but then have trouble with keeping the GW registered through a survivability event.

Ultimately - If you do this, try and get them all equal as soon as you can.

I agree, gateway firmware is an issue. If I remember correctly, Avaya documentation says that CM 5.2.1 only supports something like 30.x.x firmware on the gateway, but our vendor keeps loading 36.x.x

We haven't had any issues, but I agree, we might run into support issues with Avaya if we do.

- Stinney

“The man who asks a question is a fool for a minute, the man who does not ask is a fool for life.” - Confucius

Stinney - may I recommend keeping both firmware uploaded and have them in separate boot banks? If you do encounter trouble you can quickly swap between the two with a reboot of the gateway as long as A and B banks have one and the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back