Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CM 3.1.4 - SIP trunks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 26, 2009
US
Stupid question. We're on CM 3.1.4 at the moment (S8710). I noticed we have the option to administer SIP trunks, BUT we don't have any capacity (no licenses) to use SIP trunks at the moment. Is it as simple as getting an order in with Avaya to enable some SIP trunks for us? If so, any idea about a ballpark estimate of what it costs to enable SIP trunks on release 3.1.4? Ideally we’d like to upgrade to R5 but if this was something we could do in the meantime to help eliminate the need to add an extra piece to the puzzle to allow SIP to H323 (an Asterisk server), then that would be nice.

I had someone tell me they thought turning on the SIP trunk permissions was free but they thought we needed a SES server to make it work. Not sure about that…either thing. Do you know?

I got to checking and ran across the fact that I can indeed setup a SIP trunk group and SIP signal group, but can’t add any members since we have no licenses.

If you have an Asterisk server hanging around, you might just try connecting it to the PBX as an h323 connection. That should work too.

There are a few threads in various websites to tell you how to do that.

If you want to do SIP, you'll need a SIP Enablement Server, and the associated licenses.

Carpe dialem! (Seize the line!)

We have 3 asterisk servers but I'm having trouble configuring the 3rd one exactly like the others. The guy that setup the others is out due to an injury. In the meantime I noticed we might be able to do SIP right out of the Avaya. I can assign the trunk group and the associated signal group defined as SIP just fine...I just have no licenses to add any members to the trunk group. I'm hoping I can get away with not having the SES, although for other reasons I know that would be best to have....but for now....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back