Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clusters/SQL & other applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

efector

IS-IT--Management
Dec 10, 2003
US
Currently I have a clustered SQL 2005 installation. The SQL instance has its own IP Address & Network Name. I am installing another application(RightFax, which supports clustering) on the cluster as well, which uses the SQL installation to hold its information.

Do/Can I assign another network name/ip address to the RightFax application? (It is being installed in the same physical/logical drive space as the SQL DB).

Thanks

Hi Efector,

From Chpter 8 in the previously mentioned install document:

[All of the clustered RightFax resources must be maintained in a single cluster group. This provides complete failover protection in the event of individual resource failures. This cluster group must also include a disk resource, a server name resource, and an IP address resource. The combination of these core resources creates a virtual RightFax server. Configure the cluster group to have a preferred server and to allow fail-back.]

Regards,

Gary

Thanks for the email, but Yes, I understand that already. I have the install manual. When you install SQL, it creates the SQL Cluster Group, which has its own network name/IP address/disk resource.

When you install RightFax, you CAN install it in the same resource group, BUT, do you add ANOTHER network name/ip address(but share the same disk resource)? Because our SQL instance is called say SQL01 and has an ip of say 10.0.0.1

I dont think you want to have your RF instance/IP using the same IP address?? But also, can you have two different IP addresses/Network names sharing the same phyiscal disk resource?

I'm not sure about the program in mention, but technically if it doesn't use the same TCP/UDP port numbers as the SQL service, then you could theoritically use the same cluster group as your sql service.

Generally speaking though, you would want it to have it's own cluter group (and because of that it would need it's own disk). The reason for this is that if the fax application fails causing the group to failover, you would then make your sql failover as well. Possibly causing more problems relating to people getting booted off your databases.

I would recommend putting it in it's our Cluster Resource group with it's own name and IP. This way if Rightfax fails over the SQL Server doesn't have to fail over.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

My Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back