Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clustering on Exchange 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shirlee

Technical User
Jun 11, 2002
CA
Has anyone tried to Migrate Exchange 5.5 on NT to a Clustered Server running 2000 Advanced Server and Exchange 2000 in Active Directory.... in a different site?

When I get a reply then I'll ask my questions. I haven't read anywhere, where it's been done yet and I haven't found any threads on either the cluster site or the exchange site where it's been done.

Okay, here's my scenario:
Currently running Exch 5.5 on NT (not part of AD). Built two new 2000 Cluster Servers in new Domain. I have followed the Redbook 'Installing and Managing MS Exchange 2000 Clusters'. Patched the two servers to latest SP's. Ran ADC on our DC and have delegated rights to an id existing in our new domain to run Exchange. On the DC, in ADC I setup a Recipient Connection Agreement. Initially it was setup as a 'Two way' replication, however, when I choose 'This is an Inter-Organizational Connection Agreement' and deselect the other two options in the Advanced tab, my replication direction changes to 'From Exchange to Windows'. This runs successfully.
From one of the new exchange servers.

Details of Server information:

Old Site is ABC-DEF, server name is MAIL1
smtp=first.lastname@ABC.org.prov.country
X400= C-CA;a= ;p=ABC;o=ABC-DEF;s=lastname;g=first

New Site is ABC, server name is MAIL2
I changed the smtp to be exact as above
X400 I changed the o=ABC also
(I think this might be wrong)

On the old 5.5 Server in Connections, IMS, Connected Sites, I've setup a new routing address pointing to our new site. Under the routing tab I've added the new server IP in "Host and clients connecting to these internal addresses. I setup a Directory Replication Connector listing the Local Bridgehead as the old Server and the Remote Bridgehead as the new Server and Inbound site is the new Domain and Outbound Sites is the old Domain.

I've ran the Migration Wizard from MS Exchange (recommended). I can migrate a test user over, it appears in the new mail server and when I logon as that newly migrated user, I can see their messages. However, I cannot migrate MY id over? I get 'an exchange mailbox could not be created in store....'

Problem: While in the new mailbox, I cannot send email out. I cannot receive email from anyone. If I re-migrate the user, I get all the new messages that have been sent since the last migration. Weird thing is I can send email from migrated test id to MY email address in the old mail server.

Question 1: Have I missed anything (I'm sure I have)
Question 2: Is this even possible to do (with a clustered server?)
Question 3: Should we create a single exchange server in 2000 migrate everything over ... and then move to a clustered server??

Our goal is to eventually shutdown the old 5.5 server.

I'm wondering how did you configure the exchange on the cluster... how many virtual servers? How the resources are configured.
As about the procedure, you did something: from 5.5 to 2000, and I'm wondering if 5.5 will have the proper way to understand exch2000.
My advice:
1. install proper the exchange on the cluster nodes
joining exch5.5 organization
This procdure will make the links with the directory from 5.5 and AD.
Once you have them in the same rganization, you have just to move them, and then take off the old Exchange server.

Anyway, hearing your story, I would say that also the resources (cluster resources) of exchange doesn look like being configured properly (whereis information store, etc.)

Since I know more about clustering, and just how to install exchange on a cluster, my help is limited to this.

Gia Betiu
giabetiu@chello.nl
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, MCSE Win2K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back