Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

clustered dedicated storage nodes for AIX and tru 64

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaspreet101

IS-IT--Management
Apr 22, 2005
US
Hello,

Can we have have dedicated storage node for clustered AIX and clustered Tru 64

if yes how we configure it.

I do not see any problem .... as long as you use them as SNs only. However, if you want to use them to cluster a NW server (which also is a SN), this will not work.

Dedicated SNs are not really different from others - they just accept data from their local machine.

I've asked myself this question and myself found the answers cost all instructors failed to understand from the amateur implementor's point of view.

Here are some answers:
- 1. We can't use dedicated storage node for cluster. Since by definition, dedicated storage node can only receive backup savesets from itself while the cluster is a virtual machine with a different IP, if you want to backup from the virtual server to a physical one, you need a Storage Node license.

- 2. Storage Node is not clustered aware. However, if you use the keyword curphyhost in the storage node, networker will backup the virtual server using the physical server it's being run on. And if you set the auto restart of the group to some number, when failover happens, networker will backup using the other storage node.

Hope it helps. Instructors please correct if i'm wrong since I'm an amateur myself and had been struggling with networker for almost a year.

Hi TrungMC,

your arguments are of course true - i should have explained my statement a bit further. However, in general, i often wish that the questions and their facts would be a bit more descriptive. And of course it always depends what you want to do - the question is what the consequences will be.

For example, before curphyhost was available, users had to "dynamically" change the storage node list (usually done via a script after the failover). Of course you may use such a situation as well and - just in the case of a failover, send the data to another SN or the server.

Also, for Tru64, i remember that you install NetWorker on the virtual machine - in this case, a DSN should not be any problem at all.

Please correct me if i am wrong as it seems you have much more true experioence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back