Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cluster Server sharing cpu and ram power help? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CompuRyan

Technical User
May 8, 2005
US
I am quite a noobie at servers, but I love computers. I have about 12 computers in my basement now and am looking for a way to hook them up to function as a single computer. Therefore I would have something like a 12ghz computer with 2 gigs of ram. It would be like a 12 in 1. What kind of software application should I use for Linux? I have searched for a windows solution and was unsucessful. Which linux os?

Neat - I hadn't come across openMosix before. Looks pretty cool. I like the Knoppix style ones. Some weekend when I'm on my own in the office I must put one together and see how she runs.

Depends on the application really... Remember that clustering isn't really like having "12 computers in one" It's only good at embarssingly parrallel tasks. If you are trying to speed XWindows up, or your trying to speed up Quake -- then Clusters aren't the way to go.

Things you might be intrested in for clustering are:
the Rocks Distro
openMosix
MPI libraries
NetCDF libraries and utilities
wolfWare (written by RGB)

[plug=shameless]
[/plug]

So would a cluster run a dedicated server for a game? would it run an application like Seti@home or Folding@home? Could I use it to encode video? These are some of the apps I would use if i had a cluster such as this.

With openmosix, I have done encoding video (mencoder) .There is a performance boost.

good luck

As far as I can tell from the docs openmosix only does process migration, so unless you had a decoder that could run in a distributed fashion like a rendering farm you'd get very nominal speedups.

Yours is a very naive question from a cluster computing perspective. I think you're under a misconception of what a cluster is capable of. You can't take a bunch of servers and make them just like one big computer. Even dedicated systems like a Connection Machine, a Cray or a Blue-Gene have to have their code specially written to take advantage of the distrubuted nature of their processing power.

Setting up an OpenMosix cluster would certainly give you a better understanding of what cluster computing is, I suggest you try it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back