Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cluster resource cannot be brought online

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueManOp

IS-IT--Management
Nov 7, 2002
US
I have a two node cluster running Windows2003 server. Node 1 is the primary resource controller, and Node 2 is acting as a hot spare if the first node goes down. Keeping this simple I have an IP, Network Name and Physical Disk setup on the cluster. When Node 1 gets powered down Node 2 should pick up like it used to and keep the virtual server alive. Not sure what happened but when Node 1 goes down and you can see the second server try to shift the resources (typical shares and the disks roll over) over but it fails to start up the Network Name and IP resources. When you try to manually start the resources it gives the following error:

An error occurred attempting to bring the “10.20.1.10” resource online.
The cluster resource cannot be brought online. The owner node cannot run this resource.
Error ID: 5071 (000013cf)

And a similar message is there for the network name resource. I have tried to evict the second node and adding it back, checking the cluster heart beat (private connection between the servers) but have come up with the same result, which is a cluster environment that seems to run only on one server. :-( Anyone have any ideas?

BlueManOp

Do you have both nodes set as Possible Owners of the resource? That would cause fail over to fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back