Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cluster Installation Failure - Help Needed Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpreston

Technical User
Apr 15, 2003
GB
I have a Win2kAdv domain with only two servers in it, one being the DC.

I have created a cluster account (CA) and given it domain admin equivalence and all of the required permissions.

On my member server, logged in as the domain admin user, I have run the cluster installation process, supplying the CA user to administer the cluster. At the end of the process I get the box displayed telling me that I have succesfully completed the Cluster Service Config wizard. As the progress bar scrolls across, updating the registry, I get the following error :

Error updating cluster registry information.
A required privilege is not held by the client.
Error ID: -1073741727 (c0000061).

I'm stumped by this. I'm logged into the member server where I'm installing the cluster as the Domain Admin user. I'm using a Domain Admin equivalent user for the cluster admin account. I've even tried using the Domain Admin account itself as the cluster admin account.

How can I not have the necessary privileges to update the registry, and which registry settings is it that the process is trying to amend/update ?

This has been frustrating me all week. It should be a straight forward process - take two servers, install Win2kAdv, SP3, and patches. Make one a DC, join the other to the domain, and install MSCS on it. It really shouldn't be a problem, but it very definitely is.

I would be extremely grateful for any help/advice/tips that anyone out there can offer me.

TIA.

Rob

Do you have the correct network configuration in both Cluster Nodes?
(Check if you have the right network configuration and if you have netbios name resolution from the Global Catalog Server and from the Schema Master)

Does your cluster nodes are in workgroup or you have joined the cluster computer accounts to the domain?
(Both cluster nodes, should already be joined to the domain)

Did you login with the cluster service account?
(To be more easier, login with the cluster service account)

Does the cluster service account has domain admin rights?
(Cluster service account must be domain admin)

Does the Domain admins or the cluster service account belong to the local administrator of each cluster node?
(Must be local administrator for each cluster node)

Do you have connectivity to all ports of the Global Catalog Server?
(you may have some connectivity problems to the global catalog server, that may prevent you from query active directory, test it)

Luís Rato
MCP;MCSA;MCSA Messaging;MCSE;CIWA;CIWP;CIWSA;MCIWA

Hmmm, well that's a bit odd. As I recall, the cluster service account does not need to be a domain admin account. In fact, it does not even need to be a local admin account. What it does need are certain rights. The exact rights depend on the OS version. For a detailed list, see:

The installation issue doesn't sound like a problem with the registry. It does, in fact, sound very much like:

1. someone has been mucking with permissions on the site objects in AD.

or

2. The account is failing to enable the TCB privilage with a C000061 status (hmmm, where have I seen this status before?), ie. it's missing the "Act as part of the operating system" right.

or

3. The account does not have permission to join a computer to the domain (create the computer account for the virtual name in 2003).

XMSRE
MOSMWNMTK, WKIL+, WMDM, KD+

Luis/XMSRE,

I eventualy found what was causing this. From SP3 onwards, Windows authentication works in a different way when installing the cluster. The quickest/easiest thing for me to do was to install the cluster on a Windows installation still back at SP2, and then upgrade to SP3 afterwards. This worked with no problems.

There are MS articles explaining the difference following SP3 which describe what needs to be done to install MSCS under this config, but I didn't have time to review, test and implement it.

Thanks.

Look on support.microsoft.com, knowledge base article 281662. Both nodes MUST be a DC (in your config)!

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back