Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cluster help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bell1991

Programmer
Aug 20, 2003
US
we just got a clustered test environment and i know nothing about clustering..

I was given a cluster name, cluster virtual name1, real server name 1, real server name 2.

Now, it is time to move the databases to the new server. Do i just copy the databases to the actual server name 1?

Can anyone recommend any good links on sql clustering (not how to install a cluster which is all i seem to be able to find)?

This is assuming that you have an active passive cluster installed and that you have installed SQL server properlly through the MSCS. one node is active and one node is waiting for the other to become unresponsive.

The databases need to be on the shared drive.
Here is a very simple example. In most cases there is more than one shared drive.

server a has Server b has
C:\ c:\
D:\ D:\

The shared drive is
E:\

The quarum is
Q:\

When the server a fails over to server b anything that is on server a C:\ and d:\ is not available to server b

So the databases must be on the E:\ drive. This will ensure that when the cluster fails from either server your database will still be available and server b will find the database when the services restart.

Never install anything on the quarum.

When you connect to the instance through EM(2000) or SSMS(2005) Make sure you connect to the virtual SQL instance name. If you connect to either of the nodes and its not active you won't see the database.

After you have attached your database test it by failing over the cluster to the passive node. use the MSCS console.

- Paul [batman]
- If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything.

You can go into the active node and restore the databases but should make sure you're aware of what's going on with resources, etc., first. Check out cluster administrator to determine what node is active.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back