Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cluster DNS config 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

umbletech

IS-IT--Management
Jan 29, 2006
Hi All

Asking here coz by default most SAN admins know clustering.

On previous gigs I've been clustering the front end. Now doing an exchange back end - 2 nodes.

Confused about the DNS. Do I give a DNS name to the cluster or the virtual servers or all three?

Thanks - thats how I remembered doing my last one.

The users are accessing via 2 virtual servers with the mailboxes split alphabetically in AD.

So internal outlook client goes to AD and looks up eg VS1 -finds that in DNS and enters the cluster that way.

What would be looking up the cluster name? Other servers, servers in the cluster....?

The Virtual Node Name should be the one being used for mail. In case of failure of one node, it would still take on the name. The cluster name is for management and administrative purposes.

So if we've got 2 virtual servers we put either VS1 or VS2 into the client?

Hmm so to summarise will I have the following dns entries:

Exch front end 1
3 x Exchange back end 3
2 x Virtual Server for the two active nodes 2
Cluster 1
TOTAL DNS ENTRIES 6

And for IP addresses:
As above 6
Heartbeat NICs x 3 3
MSDTC 1
TOTAL IPs REQUIRED 10

If you have 2 virtual, that means you are running an Active/Active config and both will need an entry.

I am not sure why you would need the "Cluster name" in DNS.

As for you calculations on IP's, you only need 2 Heartbeats and they should be private IP addressing.

Huh so the exchange virtual server IPs are completely virtual? I thought they registered themselves in DNS.

Sorry forgot to say they've gone for AAP hence all the 3s. Did one in VM over the weekend using your advice - works and fails over nicely :) Thanks tremendously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back