Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cluster a server - resilience and performace?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eo

MIS
Apr 3, 2003
Hi

I have no idea if I am even in the correct forum. I am an Business Intelligence analyst, and need to provide a proposal to our board regarding the resilience, stability and performance of our Business Intelligence delivery.
This is made up of two parts. BI platform (SQL, DW, Access and Excel), and BI Delivery (SQL, Business Objects). Both seperate Windowns 2003 servers.
On the BI Delivery side I am suggesting a clustered server, which will share the load and provide a fail safe for the Business Objects delivery (increased stability and performance). But my question is on the SQL side. Is it possible to 'cluster' two Win 2003/ SQL servers, which in laymans terms will mean a mirror of each other, and which will share the work load, and provide a fail safe for each other in case one of them fails (the one server will take over all the load in case the other fails)?

Any help or suggestions welcome.

EO
Hertfordshire, England

You will need advanced edition in order to cluster but yes, you can, i believe, cluster SQL in an active/active configuration giving both resilience and performance.
For a definitive answer, you may want to ask this question in the cluster forum - forum737

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back