Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cluster 2 x Netfinity 5100 with ServeRAID 4M, EXP300 and SuSE 9.0 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssbljk

MIS
Mar 11, 2004
BA
I'm having trouble to configure ServeRAID 4M controllers to share EXP300 storage which will be used for HA cluster.

both machines have 2 hard disks on one SCSI channel of ServeRAID installed internally for system and will be configured as RAID1. second channel of both machines' ServeRAID controller are connected to EXP300 enclosure.
EXP300 is configured as single bus.

Steps I do:
- second machine is off.
- first machine booted from ServeRAID boot CD and configured 2 logical volumes. first logical volume is RAID1 created from 2 disks that are in machine and will be used for OS. 2nd volume is RAID5 on EXP300.
- enabled clustering
- ID 7 etc.. just like in FAQ and manuals
- choosed EXP300 volume to share and it changes 207 to 1

- first machine is off
- second is on and exp300 is on.
- configured it like in manual
- ID 6
- when I choose to read data from disks... it gives only option to read it from nonshared ids 206 and 207

when I click on it, it fails to read it
then I went back to first machine, selected exp300 logical volume as non shared (switchs back to id 207) and when I go to 2nd machine, it is able to read configuration data from nonshared volume 207

I installed system (SuSE 9.0 Pro) on first machine and it was able to see EXP300 storage as /dev/sdb
I created partition there and everything was fine just like with any other RAID controller.

then I booted 2nd machine, and during boot, I saw it said there is only 1 volume (RAID1 from local disks) and after installed system there, I was not able to see exp300 volume even if 1st machine is on or off.

any idea what have I missed?

hi,
have the 2 adapters 4M the same firmware level ? is it the last?

workaround: try to be elect first machine the one that reads bad disks configuration.

NOTE: in the 2nd machine, the sequence is:
- read data from disk
- set id=6, change node and partner name
(if you change order, read data overwrites your set)

Don't begin OS install if raid conf. is not ok .

bye

not so sure..i guessed its worth checking first wether suse is supported on this hardware, i have tried ckuster with microsoft and IBM exp and machines but not Suse, i know REdhat is supported as well.. so try to check the compatibility matrix..coz on the Serveraid CD, they do have the drivers and files to use for testing..this swapping of exp300

hi
however, the problem ssbljk has, will be also
if he will install Windows 2000 Advanced Server.
bye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back