Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cloud Based Server environments

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwbMitel

Technical User
Oct 11, 2005
CA
I have a customer investigating relocating their servers to either AWS (Amazon) or Azure(Microsoft) cloud data centers.

Has anyone implemented a solution with AWS or Azure and would you be willing to share your experiences.

The intent is to implement on VMWare Hyper-V

Not specifically for those platforms (AWS,Azure)
just about everything is supported on Hyper V ( with the exception of Call recording)
servers have to be manually built on Hyper V and reservations made for CPU and memory
have done some on Prem Hyper-V , no hosted
Hyper-V is not as quick to deploy or upgrade as vmware but they seem to function OK

If I never did anything I'd never done before , I'd never do anything.....

kwbMitel said:
I have a customer investigating relocating their servers to either AWS (Amazon) or Azure(Microsoft) cloud data centers.

Has anyone implemented a solution with AWS or Azure and would you be willing to share your experiences.

The intent is to implement on VMWare Hyper-V

Honestly depends on your email servers and if you utilize a directory. If you have Active Directory and Exchange on servers I would say Azure/o365. If you're already in GSuite or something else cloud-based then I'd host in AWS due to cost.

kwb, long time no see.

We're looking to do the same. Cloudsimple .com seems to offer VMware-as-a-Service in Azure, although only in a few regions. And AWS and VMware are in bed together too. Bare metal nodes with some pretty beefy production grade specs. We're VMware and Azure, and the migration is going to happen sooner than later, so I'll keep this thread posted on the outcome.

-b

Howdy bribob, I guess that makes 2 customers looking at this then.

One would think that it should be straightforward since Mitel already operates in a cloud environment on its own.
If one could explain to me/us what 'cloud-based' exactly is besides being used to sell remote services it would be appreciated.
Otherwise: cloud-based only means that the location of the server is 'remote' and is accessed via a 'pipe'.
So, the two main questions are:
1. server deployment options to meet standard requirements for resources
- in physical servers you install hardware, but these being virtual you emulate the hardware by reserving resources from a shared pool
2. access to the server
- it makes no difference if that server is in the same IT room in the form of an HP box or if it is across the continent in another server room of the same company, or 'in the cloud'
- whatever the operational requirements are, they must be supported by the deployment

Testing is the verification of engineering and should not be used as a replacement.
Get out the Engineering and Virtual Appliance Deployment guides, design it as virtual than as the 'sales guys' if they can support that.
Make sure to get it in writing.

If one could explain to me/us what 'cloud-based' exactly is besides being used to sell remote services it would be appreciated.

Like this. Think that was invented to sell more bandwidth by the carriers. Still like to control my info and not put it in the hands of another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back