Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

closing open files remotely from the command line

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkhilton

MIS
Aug 14, 2002
GB
Can anybody help? I am looking for a way to close open files on a windows 2k server remotely from the command line.

I know you can use net file.... to close the files if you are logged in locally, but can it be done remotely or with a script? The problem we have is that when we run an update tool on all the computers, it locks some files open and wont run properly. Ideally I would like to add something to the script to close the files that it has open, to avoid the error.

Thanks in advance

John

I too have a problem where a user crashes or thinks he's locked up and closes the DOS window on a legacy DOS database application. Unfortunately doing that leaves open a special startup file accessed by every session startup of the database manager and everyone else is blocked from entering the program until the user finally reboots, the link gets dropped over time, or I go to the Windows 2000 Server, click on the Computer Management icon, select Shared Folders, then Open Files, and close the file manually.

Can anyone help with this question? Is there a script I can run from my workstation to close that open file on the server? I know exactly which one it is, but this happens as often as once or twice a day. If I'm out to lunch or away, it becomes a real productivity issue.

Thanks in advance. dbMark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back