Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Closing Excel file

Status
Not open for further replies.

geo1s2

Technical User
Dec 8, 2004
GB
This is an annoying little quirk in Excel:

When I close certain excel files, it asks me "Do you want to save the Changes you made to filename.xls"? even if i have not made any changes to the file.

If i create the file using my version of Excel 2003 I do not get this problem. It seems to only effect Excel files I receive from email. Any one have a fix for this one?

When you say this only affects files received from email, do you mean files launched from email, or do you also mean files saved from email and then opened in Excel?

Cheers, Glenn.

Did you hear about the literalist show-jumper? He broke his nose jumping against the clock.

Hi Glenn,

It's emails that are received from email and then saved onto the hard disk.it doesn't seem to matter whether they are opened within email or opened after saving to the Hard disk.

Thanks, Geo

Given the situation, I would say it is less of an annoying little quirk in excel and more of an annoying little quirk in Outlook.....

Rgds, Geoff

We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colours but they all live in the same box.

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

Thanks Geoff,

I did think it may be Outlook, or that the person who sent the file is using a previous version of excel. When I save the file to disk and then use save as Excel 2003 format it doesn't make any difference. It still asks me if i want to save changes even if I have not made any.

Any one seen this before ?

What version of Excel are you using?

It is probably happening because the Excel version in which the emailed file is saved is a different version than you are using. So the user sending you the email has either an earlier or later version of Excel than you do.

I am at home right now and can't recreate this problem with Excel 2002, but I have seen this behavior before.

Try going through the Save As process with one of these files. Leave the file name and location the same, but change the Save as Type to Microsoft Excel Workbook (the very first option in the list).

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue]
[/tt][red]Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

Thanks John,

I have tried changing the Save as Type when saving the file but it just keeps asking me the same question "Do you want to save changes...." Anything else i can try?

Geo

Sound like it could be that a cell is picking up the date from a function like =now().

Even though you have made changes that will have changed.

Oops - I posted before seeing your 7:17 reply, Geo. Sorry about that.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue]
[/tt][red]Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

No worries John...Thanks for playing.

Hi Kenred, I'm nor sure i follow you on that one. George.

if there is a cell that has either

=Now()
or
=Today()

in them, they will automatically recalc when the workbook opens - this will cause the "save changes" message to appear - they are known as "volatile" formulae

Rgds, Geoff

We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colours but they all live in the same box.

Thanks Geoff I'll check that out. Geo

Thanks Geoff, Thats done the trick!

Thanks for all you replys,

Geo.

unfortunately, there's no real way of disabling them without turning off auto calculation but at least you know what is causing it now !!

Thanks should go to KenRed though for cutting through the trees to see the forest !!

Rgds, Geoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back