Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Closed windows slowly disappear from top to bottom

Status
Not open for further replies.

petey

Programmer
Mar 25, 2001
US
When I've got a few windows open in the taskbar that I'm closing, the last one always takes a few seconds to be "undrawn" from the screen, disappearing slowly from top to bottom.

Anybody got a clue about this? This started happening somewhat recently and I can't seem to remember any major changes I was doing at the time. Not a huge problem, but mildly irritating.

Thanks,
Petey

Does it do it when you have ONLY one window open, then close it?

I will venture to say your memory on your video card might be going or something to that effect.

And perhaps a defrag of your hard drive might be in order ... do you have space left on there?

Tell us what's under the hood... CPU speed, how much RAM, hard disk size and free space, video card and on-board memory? Checked for viruses recently? Badger7's answer is the most likely...

ROGER - GØAOZ.

600mhz cpu, 64meg ram, probably only 20-30 megs left on the hard drive. Recently did a defrag, no changes.

petey

CPU and RAM is fine, but hard disk space needs increasing. I usually like to see a minimum of 100Mb free space on the hard drive. Also check that pagefile/swapfile is enabled and that Windows is managing it automatically.

You didn't tell us the type and spec of your video card - that might also be part of the bottleneck...

ROGER - GØAOZ.

" probably only 20-30 megs left on the hard drive "

That has a lot to do with it as well. There is NO space left for paging. I like to have 3 or 4 hundred meg free so Windows can "breath"

If Windows uses 10 percent of your free space, you are only able to manipulate 2 or 3 Meg in your paging files, which is a window opened, or a small program running.

List a few things you do not use anymore on your system.

Do you know how to open Internet explorer and delete the old internet stored files?

What is the size of your hard drive anyway?

I wouldn't be surprized (especially after the above feedback) if this is simply the lack of drive space. I hope it's not my video card. The display is fine in all other ways.

I may just delete a bunch of stuff and see if the problem goes away.

petey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back