Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Closed folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxtyman

Technical User
Apr 3, 2006
FR
Strange one here. I've 2 xp os installed, one for web other for office duties.A small number of files from web system cannot be opened from within office system and vice-versa:several entire folders are locked between the 2 os. Have tried Unlocker which finds no reason for lock-out!
Affects only some folders and files.
Any ideas?

Thanks for the reply however it's not that! In the share/security dialogue I get access denied, cannot change settings.
Hmm

Oops; my mistake, your suggestion worked fine, I tried again having I think made a typing error the 1st time.
Thanks again.

Glad that you tried another time and got it working...

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Woah! back again. Solution was grand for one of my XP pro's but the other lacks a security tab, with only sharing coming up in folder propoerties.Both have sp2 installed though I'm buggered if I can remember which hotfixes I've got. Auto update is OFF.
Another idea?
Great forum by the way.

Are we talking about XP Home which has only Simple File Sharing and no Security tab?

If so, access the Security Tab via Safe Mode.

Otherwise go to Folder Options/ View, and uncheck "Use simple file sharing (Recommended). This will give you your Security Tab in XP Pro.

No, XP pro. I've found the solution though.Have to switch off simple file sharing to reveal the security tab in all it's glory.

Yup, that was in the link provided earlier by rvnguy & specifically mentioned by linney. Glad you found the solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back