Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CLOSE_WAIT question

Status
Not open for further replies.

gallows

Technical User
Jun 12, 2004
US
I'm running Solaris 9 with latest Recommended Patches. We are using NIS+. I am seeing a lot of CLOSE_WAITs (netstat) on almost all of my servers coming from my NIS+ server. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can look at to correct this? It is my understanding that the only way to get rid of them is to reboot, which is not an option for me.

Thanks

what is the value of tcp_time_wait_interval?

ndd -get /dev/tcp tcp_time_wait_interval

afaik if you are running a http Server or a server with many short connections you should set this to eg 30000 (miliseconds)

ndd -set /dev/tcp tcp_time_wait_interval 30000

Best Regards, Franz
--
Solaris System Manager from Munich, Germany
I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

Thanks for the reply Franz!
The server that has about 7 Close_Waits has the interval set to 240000. It has an application on it that uses Oracle. This server is running Solaris 5.8

The Nis+ server has the interval set to 60000. This one is Solaris 5.9. Seems like quite a bit of difference between the two.

I suggest to set it to 60000 on the Solaris 7 host; I think this will not affect the applications or Oracle; even if it affect's it, you know what you have tuned...

Best Regards, Franz
--
Solaris System Manager from Munich, Germany
I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

Thanks Franz!
I just thought the big difference with the default settings for Solaris 8 (240000) and Solaris 9 (60000) was interesting. It would seem to me that I would need to increase the 60000 to 300000 to get rid of the WAITS. I will play around both ways and see what happens.

gallows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back