Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Close TCP port

Status
Not open for further replies.

yhchooi

MIS
Nov 1, 2001
MY
How do I close a tcp port, eg tcp port no 1433, in a Windows 2000 server? Best Regards
YH Chooi

the first and most basic method, would be to stop the service that is runnning on that port.. for instance, to close off port 25 u would have to stop the SMTP service...

however, if u want to keep the port open, but not to the public, then a firewall would be a good idea...

for total protection, close off the port, and configure the firewall to reject access to that port.. do this for the rest of your services..

good luck..

FYI: The worm was spread through udp, not TCP. Nick Mitchell
Network Engineer
Delaware.Net

I think he's asking how you could manually close a specific port without using firewall software. I'm guessing you'd have to write a program to do it as Windows doesn't have a method of "turning off" ports.

Sure windows 2000 has port security built in. Ok here we go:

Open up you Lan connection Properties...

Click on TCP/IP Properties

Click on Advanced

Click on Options Tab

Click on TCP/IP Filtering options

Enable TCP/IP Filtering

And Close whatever you want, well it works backwards you have to close everything and open whatever you want.

Cheers,

Nick Mitchell
Network Engineer
Delaware.Net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back