Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Close Front End Remotely

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikin9

Technical User
Jun 22, 2001
US
I would like to somehow remotely close a user's local front end. We have a typical FE/BE set-up, with the FE's loaded from a .bat file. Occasionally, I want to remotely close all the FE's without running all over the building. I'd like to build something into the FE to automatically close the DB, if say I change a value in a table is changed from a 0 to a -1.

Has anyone implemented such a feature, can you suggest a better way?

Thanks!

That's a great idea! I'm always having problems getting my user's to close out their front-ends. However now I just have them copy it down locally and use the local copy. When I change the front-end I simply send them another database with code that copies the newer version over their older version.

However you could place a timer on the form and have it check your table every x minutes. Then if it sees the right value, close the application. Just make sure you give your user's a message before closing.

Exactly. Usually, this situation occurs when I want to make a change in the BE and a table is in use (locked) by a user. Previously, we implemented an eMail request, but if someone's away from their desk, you've got to pay them a visit.

I just got this feature working with a timer on a hidden form (MoveSize, , 0,0) that turns visible with a message when the close condition (-1) is met. However, I'd like the form to stay open for say 60 seconds and then exit (DoCmd.Quit).

Is there a timer function in VBA that I can set to wait a period of time? I can't find one besides the Timer Interval in the form property sheet. Thanks for the feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back