Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cloning SCSI Drive Using Norton Ghost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peahippo

MIS
Jul 18, 2003
US
I'm using a copy of Norton Ghost 7.50 and I'm uncertain if it will properly clone a SCSI drive on a server I have.

The server system looks like this normally:

SCSI drive chain: ID0 (18GB HDD as C:), ID6 (TAPE)
IDE drive chain: Primary (CDROM), Secondary (40GB HDD as D:)

I've used the following Ghost command line in a batch file for ages, to clone IDE drives like so:

Ghost command line: GHOST -clone,mode=copy,src=1,dst=2 -sure -fx -FRO -ntc-
IDE drive chain: Primary (drive to be cloned), Secondary (new drive from manufacturer, straight out of the box)

Note that the Primary drive in these cases was anything ... FAT, FAT32, NTFS, and combined partitions (FAT32+NTFS) of the same. Ghost didn't care and copied it all dutifully anyway.

However, when I put together the server for the Ghosting:

SCSI drive chain: ID0 (18GB HDD as C:), ID1 (120GB HDD) ... ID6 TAPE is DISCONNECTED
IDE drive chain: Primary (CDROM) ... Secondary HDD is DISCONNECTED

... and I put together a prompted command like so:

Ghost command line: GHOST -clone,mode=copy,src=1,dst=2 -fx -FRO -ntc-

... I got a message that leads me to believe that the destination drive had partitions on it already.

Y-I-K-E-S!

I'm just using Ghost as a utility disk and don't have the program manual. Hence, I'm not sure what Ghost will do, and want to be sure that it won't copy over some junk ONTO my source drive. Am I being too paranoid? Is my command line and drive setup appropriate for cloning the contents of the 18GB SCSI drive to the out-of-the-box 120GB SCSI drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back