Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cloning Primary Drive to another hard disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechMC

MIS
Dec 9, 2003
US
Hello,

I have a Dell Poweredge 2650 running Raid 1 and Raid 5. If I wanted to Ghost an image or make a copy of the primary hard drive...How do I go by doing that? The primary drive is mirrored and I dont have another hard drive with the exact speed and size. What can I use to clone this drive?

I used ghost when I needed to do this. No problems at all worked fine.

What version of Ghost did you use? It didnt quite work for me. Hoe are you cloning it? To an external hard drive? Disk to Disk?

What about it didn't work? Ghost typically adjusts automatically for different disk sizes and speeds. That was the biggest part of its appeal when it came out back in 1996 or 1997.

A disk-to-disk clone ought to work fine, as should a disk-to-file clone using a network boot disk if necessary (you can find everything you'll need to make a network boot disk at Or you could use an external drive. I've cloned servers using all of those methods, depending on what I had available to work with.

Usually I use the DOS executable from Ghost 2003, but I've used previous versions successfully too.

Dave Farquhar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back