Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cloning from virtual to physical tape 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kobus7102

Technical User
Jun 30, 2011
NL
I would like to know what best practice is w.r.t. cloning of virtual tapes to physical.

I am looking after an environment which has a small disk library to do backups to, then these backups get spooled off to tape on a Monday. I would like to know where the retention is being set so that my tapes only have a retention of 2 weeks and tapes the normal retentions, eg. weekly = 5 weeks, monthly = 12 months and yearly = 7 years.

The best method is to script such process and to send the data to a specific pool:

nsrstage -b pool -y retention -m -S [ssid/cloneid]

Is that a better option than the cloning in 7.6.1?

Also, would it then be fine to have all my retentions for disk based backups set for 2 weeks?

Where would I browse these backups for restore from clones?

Actually, this has been available since years. In NW 7.6.1 just the automatic cloning via the new clone resource has been added.

Set your retention time to whatever you need - we can't really say what is 'fine'.

Browsing is done via the file index. As long as you have a save set instance that is browsable, you will see the files. Just when you start the recover process, NW will decide from where it gets the data:
- First (and fastest) choice is when a media with that save set is already mounted (btw - no matter from which pool)
- Second choice is from the original media if it is available.
If not, it will use the clone media if such exists.
- If you want to recover from a specific media (clone?), you have the choice:
- You can either provide the clone to specify the media indirectly or
- You can set the first (or more) instances to 'suspect'. NW will then use another media if such exists.

So let me just get this straight.

If I have a retention of 2 weeks on either groups or clients for say my Monthly backups. If I clone to a monthly pool that has a retention of 12 months, my backups will be fine for 12 months?

Your clones will be fine for 12 months.
Backups will become recyclable after 2 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back