Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cloning a P5 lpar onto P6 architecture 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

phorbiuz

Technical User
Jul 22, 2004
GB
We have a need to create a copy of a production machine to perform some testing on.

The current production lpar is on a Power5 P570 running AIX 5.3 TL9. The machine we've been allocated is a Power6 P520.

We have mksysb's no problem at present, going to a seperate NIM server, but I'm aware there that different architecture will need different drivers.

Can anyone tell me what the correct process would be to use our mksysb image of our Power5 machine onto a brand new P6 lpar?

Thanks.

I don't have specific details on the correct process but I can just tell you I recently moved from JS20's (8842-41X) and P5 520's I think (7028-6C4)) to P6 570 hardware without any issues and I am at 5.3 TL6.

You probably won't get any problems, but you may need the installation CDs, at level 5.3 TL09 or higher.

POWER5 and POWER6 aren't different architectures and you shouldn't have any problems. Might be an idea creating the mksysb as a generic install image with all the drivers though.

-----
Cheers,
Henrik Morsing
Join us on irc://chat.freenode.net channel ##aix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back