Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cloned master IDE HD to new SATA HD, but not booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidmonkey

Technical User
Sep 25, 2004
SE
hello everyone and merry x-mas!!!

What i would like to do is clone or copy my old IDE hard drive to a new slightly larger SATA hard drive and then have the new SATA work as the system disk.
i used norton ghost 9.0 to copy the old IDE HD to my new SATA HD, no problems there, it worked.
But now when i take the old IDE out, and put the new SATA, windows will not boot.

no matter what i try, i cannot get the computer to boot from the new SATA hard drive even though it does have windows XP on it. yes, i clicked the option to copy over the MBR onto the new drive.

The original configuration is 2 IDE hard drives and looks like this in BIOS

Pri Master WD 160 GIG physical jumpers are 'master with a slave'
Pri Second Maxtor 80 GIG physical jumpers are 'slave'
Sec Master DVD-RW

Now when i hook up the SATA HD to my motherboard this is how my BIOS looks like...even though i still have 2 IDE HD's and one SATA HD hooked up.

Pri Master None should be the SATA HD
Sec Master DVD-RW

also, when i enter the SATA RAID Bios, it shows that the SATA HD is installed and is a Maxtor 160 GIG on drive space '0' and it says that this is the 'First HDD'
but there are no options i can change at all.

also, when i go into regular BIOS, there are no options that look like they allow me to choose that the computer should boot up from the new SATA HD.

as far as i understand i should have the 2 IDE HD's as slaves (jumpers are set correctly) and then the SATA HD should be the primary master boot HD.

how do i set the new SATA HD to be the master?

one other thing and this could very well be the problem. my new SATA HD has the drive letter 'e' assigned to it. now i can change this to anything else, but cannot change it to 'c'. when i try to change the current 'c' drive to something else, it does not let me as it says 'cannot change the drive letter of the primary or boot drive'. is there a way around this?

can anyone help me with this please??

hope i explained this correctly....

thanks for any help in advance!!!!!

Was your old hard disk partitioned? Use Fdisk try to see if your primary partition is active.

The original configuration is 2 IDE hard drives and looks like this in BIOS

Pri Master WD 160 GIG physical jumpers are 'master with a slave'
Sec Master DVD-RW

Now when i hook up the SATA HD to my motherboard this is how my BIOS looks like...even though i still have 2 IDE HD's and one SATA HD hooked up.

Pri Master None should be the SATA HD
Sec Master DVD-RW

Where is the Western 160gig now???

-seanform- none of my HD's have been partitioned.

-mainegeek- the WD 160 Gig is still hooked up to the computer with the jumpers set to be 'slave'.

do u think i need to make a boot disk and boot up with that one so that the MBR is copied over? i read that on another thread.

thanks for your help everyone!!

Leave the WD 160 as primary slave but try it with its jumper set to (CS) cable select or the jumper removed entirely. Probably will work with it removed.

In my PC I have a Western Digital 160GB SATA drive, a 80GB IDE drive (jumpered as primary master), and DVD-RW drive (jumpered as secondary master).

Note that since your SATA drive is not an IDE drive... you should jumper your IDE drive as a master.

In my AwardBIOS, my drives show as:
IDE0 Master - 80GB drive
IDE0 Slave - none
IDE1 Master - DVD=RW Drive
IDE1 Slave - None
IDE2 Master - 160GB SATA drive
IDE3 Master - None

On the next BIOS menu I selected "Hard Drive" as the first boot device. Two or rhree lines above that on the same BIOS menu is a "Hard Drive Priority" sub-menu where I select "Ch.2" since my SATA drive is IDE channel 2 as seen by my BIOS.

mainegeek and frank - i will try those suggestions shortly but first i was wondering if i should be updating my BIOS settings?

i have never updated my BIOS and have found a bunch of updates on the asus website as well as some drivers for the serial ATA utility. do you think these will help me out as well?

i'm using a ASUS A7N8X-E Delux MB.

i would like to thank everyone for their help, i really appreciate it.
in the end i decided to just have the SATA drive as another slave HD instead of the system drive.
Even after i cloned it and had the SATA as the system drive, there were still many small problems or rather differences with windows and i just didn't want to take the chance of any future major breakdowns.

another note, when the SATA was semi working, it did not seem any faster than my IDE HD.

either way, i am still enjoying my new 160 Gigs of space!!

happy new year!!!

Wait a second. Liquid, are you saying that you cloned your IDE drive to a sata drive, took out the primary hard drive and just expected it to boot? OK that won't work. Here is why. In you motherboard bios, a sata device is listed as one of the "OTHER" devices (I.E. when you look at the boot order in the bios it says Hard Disk [or ide], floppy, CD-ROM, Other) You need to make Other first. Then you need to go into your SATA setup (it should come up right after the option to enter your mobo bios but before windows starts) Usually CTRL-A or CTRL-B or something like that (depends on the SATA card). Tell your Sata controller to be "Bootable", also if there is an option in your sata Bios to select which drive is the boot drive, select your SATA drive as well (this may or may not be the case). Anyway, once you do these things, your machine will boot from the SATA drive. Also, if you change your machine so that the Secondary drive (the IDE drive you still have in there)is the drive with your pagefile (Virtual Memory) then you will most likely see a performance boost as well.

But know this, just changing your Hard drive to a "faster" one probably won't increase performance. It may allow you to transfer large files faster, or maybe load large programs slightly faster, but your machine won't significantly jump in performance as there are a number of factors that can bottleneck a pc. I.E. FSB (front side bus), Graphics, Memory, Hard drive RPM's, Hard Drive transfer rate, CPU, Cache memory...PCI Bus, System bus...etc. so unless you change all of these factors, or can diagnoses using utilities which ones are the bottleneck, then you are just flipping coins as to whether changing a particular piece of hardware will speed up your PC.

As a side note, Your Bios version (unless it is REALLY old) has nothing to do with whether your machine will boot from a SATA controller, for all intents and purposes, a sata drive is the same as a SCSI controller, if you have more questions, look up mixed SCSI/IDE systems on google. The procedure is the same up to the SCSI controller configuration section. Also (btw) you install a SATA controller in windows Setup the same way you would a SCSI controller. Just a little tidbit for anyone else doing this from scratch.

As background on my knowledge, I have been building Workstations and servers for buisness customers for 5 years with my own business, and before that 5 more years for other companies, so I kinda know how to do this stuff.

I did the same thing you tried to do. I wanted to replace my 80MB Maxtor IDE with a 160MB Hitachi SATA as the boot disk, retaining the Maxtor as a second disk. Banks1850 is correct: you have to set the boot device to something other than IDE drive. I'd tell you exactly, but I'm at work at the moment and my system is at home.

After installing the new SATA drive and establishing that I could access it, I Ghosted the old drive onto the new, then went into BIOS and replaced the IDE drive in the boot sequence with one of the selections under "Other boot device."

Bogus Bill Rigdon
bogusbill@mindless.com

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government.
It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury.
-- Alexander Tyler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back