Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clone problem 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcboy1

Technical User
Dec 6, 2002
CA
I am attempting to clone my master HDD is a Maxtor which is failing to 80 Gig Sata ( I am using a IDE to Sat host adapter) with Ghost 2003 I get to 2:50 seconds ( 10 attemps) and it shuts down and reboots. I then get the ghost failure info log
I disable Norton and not too sure what to next, it seem like it harder to start the computer I get the black screen saying press F1 hard drive failure imminent

I think you can forget trying to use software like Ghost or Acronis trueimage to clone that drive. They fail at the first bad sector they encounter.

As we don't know how close to total demise the Maxtor is I think your best options are probably to try getdatatback from first. This software can handle bad sectors on the source drive. Doing this first means at least you should recover the majority of what is on the Maxtor.

Next, depending on how bad the Maxtor is - you may at that point have a good copy or only a partial copy. If getdataback got everything - fine. You are all done. If not, then you have little to lose by letting Spinrite from grc.com have a go at recovering bad sectors. If spinrite finally reports a healthy drive - you could try getdataback again, or even Ghost. But I suggest you use a second recover disk to do that.

To use Getdataback you will need either a spare PC and 1 spare drive bigger than the Maxtor. Or a small drive you can build a temporary fresh install of XP on.

Best of luck.

you need a drive recovery software like ERD commander (it is expensive) you are at a point that if the data is that important ytou should send it to a lab.

look for hiren's boot cd ....that may help

stduc and Freestone gave great advice...
I want to let you know that once you start the data recovery process you can be looking for a LONG period of time for the process to complete.

you don't state if this is an IDE drive?

sometimes with recovery software there is issues with DOS type drivers for SATA controllers....most of the time it works flawlessly...But...sometimes there are issues and roadblocks

So, tryit first with what you have and if there is an issue get an IDE drive

good luck

There is another program I've found recently called Recover My Files which you can find on
I believe it's $69 to purchase, but you can download the free trial which scans your drive and shows you what you can recover. If you see what you need after the scan, then maybe the purchase is worth it.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

cdogg,
looks like a promising program....have you used it yet?
if you did, were you happy with the format it laid out for the files found?

I've used it once only to recover a small portion of the hard drive under Documents & Settings. Yeah, I was satisfied overall with the GUI and the way it lays out the folder structure of what it finds. It was even able to pick up the old FAT32 partition that was on the drive before NTFS and Windows XP were installed.

I'm not sure if it's the best recovery program to use, but for the money, I couldn't pass it up...

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

thats good too know. I hate recovery software that lays out the files and you have to choose the folder to recover to blindly....its a pain when there are many files. Cheapo is good....I payed out the rear for the Winternals products for my business

Yeah, I'm with you on that one. I've used some utilities in the past that refer to lost folders and files by number which is a real pain in the a**. In this one, however, it lists them by their original name! I think it somehow repairs the original partition table.

~cdogg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back