Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clocking help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarryRodberg

Technical User
Jun 26, 2007
US
I am having an issue with a couple of PBXs with PRI clocking and looking for guidance.

I have an 81C connected to an 11C via a Nortel Passport routed circuit. This has been up and running like a champ for like 12-13yrs or so. Anyway, when you are using the Passport "Cloud" and having the Passports route your calls, you can not host VM from the main PBX and be able to light up the phones on the 11C. Therefore we have had a MM in the 11C since install. That MM is on it's last leg and we now have a big 1002 callpilot on the 81C so we are going to host the 11C mail from the 81C. Also the site has grown and they need the other circuit for dedicated Data with our voice not riding it.

We set up a dedicated P to P T-1 from the 81C to the 11C through a provider. We installed it and set it up properly, but when we set the clocking on the 11C to the new circuit, it pulls slips like it is in freerun. When we clock off the old Passport circuit, the new one runs like a champ. It is like there is no clocking being provided.

The 81C is set as network and the 11C is user. We have close to 50 T-1s hosted from the 81C to 11Cs throughout the state and we did a stare and compare to the settings of other P to P circuits that are working with no differences seen. We have also replaced the CC card on the 11C as well as the PRI cards on both ends.

I can work most T-1s problems from the PBX side, but this one has me stumped and the provider is not helping much.

My question after all that background is...Does the provider have a way to prevent clocking from passing through the circuit and maybe they got a programming setting wrong somewhere? I do know that they are using IMT-150 at each side of this circuit.

Barry- Have a simple question. When you added the T-1, did you also add a Clock Controller daughter board to it?

Clocking is actually derived from the data bits on the circuit.

I have seen clocking issues arise when circuits are installed from different providers - specifically circuits from the local telco were using a different clock source than circuits provided from a local cable company who was just starting to provide telco services.

We could sync the PBX clock off of either provider, but then we would have clocking issues on the other circuits.

We finally had to have the cable company clock their circuits from the same source as the telco.

Yes we installed a CC card on the new PRI card in the Opt 11. We even changed it out with a known good one.

The provider is not "Providing' a clock source. It is supposed to be a dry point to point circuit and the 81C should be providing the clock source. Besides, when we turned up the new circuit the first time, we removed the original circuit as the new one is a replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back