Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

clock controller & FIJI

Status
Not open for further replies.

CS1KPass

Technical User
Nov 22, 2011
US
we have a FIJI that will not operate on the 1-1 shelf, but operates on other shelves.

we had another facility repalaced their CLKC and their FIJI loaded the firmware and they were able to join the ring. we tried that and lost all of our PRIs, and the CLKC 1 (standby) had both the red and green lights on at the same time (software dsbl/faceplate dsbl). (could not replace clkc 1 as we had to restore services)

does anyone know for sure that if the P2 cable is bad, that the FIJI will not operate properly? Could that cable cause problems for teh FIJI and the CLKC at teh same time?

Any help would be appreciated before we rip out the cage that the FIJI is in.

Have you tried changing the 3PE or PS cards? As for the "P2" cable... Id say the NTRC49 and the NTRC46 cables could be the problem.

Swap the cables with another shelf and see if the issues goes with the cables.
Use the cables from the other shelf in the one showing problems.
That will eliminate the cables from the possibilities.
I've seem my share of 81s that suddenly, and inexplicably had bad cables.
FIJI is a funny animal.......

we did replace the per sig and the 3PE, but found nothing. the vendor seems to think it is the back plane, but that is a really invasive procedure for a hospital to endure, to replace a cage.

I thought about a 3 part approach, new ntrc49, new clkc, new cage.

I just wanted to see if anyone else had a similar issue with the cable and what anomolies it created.

I know that ever since we tried to disable the standby clock controller, I have noticed that many channels are going into lockout for no apperant reason. we have to get the carrier involved.

Its always the simple things that end up causing the issues, and the problem started when we went to 6.0 from 5, so we can rule out software.

the most puzzeling is the fact that both lights came on the clkc. i can not find any reference in docs for that.

We recently had the same issue as a result of a power surge. Clock 1 had both lights on but we could put it in service. Alot of popping and clicking across the networks. We ended up changing both clocks which was odd because clock 0 worked during the trouble scenario but ended up being the last thing we changed and the problem was corrected. First we changed clock 1, the clock cable, then some fiji cards that were bad, and then the shelf for 1/1. After that ended up changing all 10 fiji cards and finally clock 0. I know the card cage was bad and I know for sure that both clocks were too. I'm still not convinced that all of the fijis were. We took them to our lab and were able to bring the rings up but we could not simulate a hospital environment. We had no way to put that kind of call volume on the test switch.

I hope it doesnt come to that. Thanks for the information. we tested the working FIJIs from other shelves with no success. Even brought in 3 new ones (also looked for bent pins on the back plane, but those are hard to define).

since everything is dependant on everything around it, it is like dominos, so I am trying to go to the source instead of dropping one thing at a time.

our customers can not afford downtime longer than a few minutes.

compared to other systems, I like the capabilities of the CS1000, but it is the most tempermental system I have ever worked with. down an IPE and a few customers are OOS.. touch a cable and it INIs on you, look wrong at an MC-32 and it reloads. really tempermental

I don't know where you get your parts from but for us we just don't trust them anymore. I would run some 360 tests in ld 39 and some backplane tests as well. If you can't test from 0 to 31 on the backplane then I would start replacing the cards where the failure is. Also I would look real hard at the clocks and cables. I know it is painful but our hospital had to bite the bullet.

when did this start happening? or did you always have this problem?

What I'm digging for is what may have caused this to start happening.

We are not sure exactly what caused it. last year we upgraded from 5 to 6 on the switch.. a few days later we started receiving FIJI errors. our vendor began swapping out things from there and unfortunatly we have so much going on that this issue became idle until now.

Do you have the new Global Clock Controllers? I think they are a NTRB53 and the old one's are a QPC 471. There are certain vintages of the QPC 471 that wont work, I believe they have to be at least an H vintage. If you have the Global Clock Controllers you might try to force download them. If you stat the clocks and get a " NO UART" message then you have issues with the clocks.

we do. we have checked everything from the vintage to the dip switch settings, and everything is on track.

we stat'd the clocks and have found no issues.

Those dip switches on the 3PE cards are different for the type of shelf you have. Make sure you are following the the procedures for the type of shelf.

i was refering to the dip switches on the clock controllers.

the 3pe has been checked when we pulled it originally.

Are your 3PE cards vintage F or higher? And your per sig cards vintage N or higher?

With the same trouble you have I had about 24 hours of troubleshooting. That was spread out over a couple of days with our atac and finally Avaya. Eventually Avaya took the reigns but I bet that their engineers worked on it for half of the 24 hours. It was definitely one of the worst troubles I have ever worked. I would bet money on those damn clocks.

just checked again and those cards are the correct vintage.

I am leaning towards the clocks or cabling as well.

Avaya is the one directing our maint contractor to replace the cage, but I dont think that they are aware that the clkc has issues as well. time to update the ticket.

Yeah they had us replace the cage real quick too. Makes sense though because you rule a big part out fast. Me and another guy changed ours out in 40 minutes. I have a dc switch though.

Im going to jump in since I fixed two of the similar issues within the last two weeks. Change the NTRC49 clock cable like Jeff suggested. We have had several "just go bad". Might have to change the dip switch on the NTRB53 clock card to 15-20 ft since this is total length. Check the other dips and get a new clock. If you get FIJI card get two, I allways do. Some FIJI will work in a network but not the other. Why not frog the FIJI and see if issue follows. Check the p4 between networks. And make sure you push real hard on the FIJI cables, if you hear a click...then it wasnt on. I mean real hard. Let us know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back