Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cloak a query string

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiamat2012

Programmer
Dec 12, 2004
US
Anyone know an easy way to do it? The only way I can think of it is somehow reading another php file

like if I had something like "index.html?num=03" and then another page was "specialoffers" it would show the same data as the index.html?num=03

Anyone know?

Sincerely,
Kerry

The easiest way (if you control the whole script) would be to use POST data rather then GET. It's the nature of GET data to be viewable.

Beyond that (if POST is not in the question) then I would say use an AJAX script to pass the get, and feed the returned page through javascript. The javascript forum could help you with that one. (link)

Kerry

i don't understand what you're asking for, here. can you elucidate?

I'm not doing a form action, just using php.

I've heard in SEO that it's better to have standard pages with names rather than with query strings.

so if psas.php?psa=0 was a certain Horse, it should actually be "certainhorsename" (the actual name of the horse), but it shows the data of the other page.

The way I found to do it, which is successful, but I'm still looking for another way, is to use php "readfile()" function in another page, like certainhorsename.php = "readfile('psas.php?psa=0');"

-Kerry

aha...

i'm not convinced that this actually has a bearing on SEO - but then again mot of my clients try to avoid search engines finding them...

your problem sounds like a classic problem for solution via mod_rewrite. this is a module of apache (hope you're using apache!).

have a look in the apache manual - it's not difficult to set up these rewrite rules but some of the arcana are ... arcane. the bods in the apach forum should be able to help but post back here if you get no joy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back