Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clipping Paths

Status
Not open for further replies.

zcole

Technical User
Feb 17, 2004
US
I am creating a layout to send off to a printer. I am importing graphics into Quark, and need to place multiple pictures on top of each other. I need the top photo to "transparent" and have been unsuccessful in acheiving this thus far. I have the images background deleted, and then I applied a work path to the selected image. I am kind of stuck at this point as to whether I need to apply a layer mask, how to save the image, etc. If someone could give me a semi-detailed explanation on how to acheive a transparent image with a work path I would greatly appreciate it!

If you want hard edges around your images that overlap use clipping paths, if you want soft transitions use layered images with a clear background.

I'm guessing you want clipping path, so, create a selection, make work path in paths window, save path (default name is okay), choose clipping path, and by default your first path shows up, and now you've created a clipping path. on the path palette the path 1 is shown as outlined text instead of plain black.

BTW, Quark doesn't support transparency like Photoshop does. Clipping paths will work fine, but "soft" transparency doesn't. It picks a cutoff point; anything below it is fully transparent, and anything above it is opaque. If clipping paths are unsuitable, you'll need to layer all the images in Photoshop. Or switch to InDesign, which does support transparency...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back