Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clipper code migrates easily to 32bit Alaska xBase++

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawk521

Programmer
Nov 28, 2000
US
Forgive me if this topic has been covered already.

I am an old Clipper guy from the S'87 days (and before). Own S/N 1299 of Clipper. It has served me well as a consultant and software developer. Alas, Microsoft has been pushing 64 bit O/S and things got dicey.

Have been using Alaska xBase++ for several years and I will say that for me it has been a splendid migration path for old Clipper programs. Some code compiled w/o change. Most required some minor tweaking (such as every base program has to start with a Main() function.

Alaska xBase++ has the added benefit of creating 32 bit apps that will run in a 64 bit environment.

Is worth checking out as more and more equipment is being implemented w/64 bit O/S.

Disclaimer: I have NO affiliation with, nor any monetary interest in Alaska. It is simply a good migration path from Clipper. A bit costly - but perhaps worth it if you have significant investment in Clipper source code.

I've used Alaska xBase++ for a while too. The migration was not painless and some things just never got ported across, but it is reliable and reasonably quick.

I prefer VFP now, but I'm actually working on a C# conversion of a Clipper->xBase++ project as we speak!

M

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

I've switched to Harbour/xHarbour somewhere over 10 years ago, just to get descent (then 32 bit, now even 64 bit) performance out of my old code. And then I stopped using/supporting Clipper/xBase coding entirely...

Like Griff, new code is in C# or Java, and IMHO old code/applications usually needs a giant redesign anyway, so doing it, properly designed, in an Object Oriented environment is the best way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back