Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clients wont print after 2PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlcscousin

Technical User
Mar 25, 2001
CA
I am still trying to find an answer so I decided to post here.My NT workstations lose the ability to print about 2PM and no matter how often I reboot the WINS server and the domain controller I get the same RPC service error.The WINS is a W2K member server and the domain controller is a NT PDC. We are in the midst of upgrading to W2K but cant get rid of that domain yet.The strange thing is we can print from 7AM till about 2PM then only the W2K pro machines and NT administrators are allowed to print.The time allowed to be logged in is ok as are the clocks on the two servers.M$ suggests that it is a service pack fix but they are at SP6A which is what they are supposed to be to cure that problem.The only change I have made is the WINS server was upgraded to W2K friday so that my trusts between the other W2K domain and the NT domain would work.(corrupted database on WINS upgrade fixed that.)
I have looked through the M$ site and applied all the fixes I found.
Hopefully someone else has seen this problem and can recommend a fix.

HI.

Have you looked at the event viewer?
Both at the clients and relevant servers?

If you suspect WINS or other name resolution problems, you should try:
PING SERVERNAME
to troubleshoot.

I suspect something else.

How are the printers configured at the client - as Local or Network printers?
You should configure the printer as Local printer with "Local Port" to the UNC path of the shared printer.
This may also help.

Bye
Yizhar Hurwitz

I can ping server name and ping the printers.They can all access the printers from 8AM til about 2PM then it returns an RPC service failed error.
I can access and use the printers as admin and anybody running W2K pro can access the printers.It seems to be only users running NT4 workstation that lose the print ability.They are all updated to SP6A as per M$ suggestion of a fix but still no access after 2PM. M$ suggests to many shutdowns causing it but no one shuts down their computers we have them leave them on all the time.
We did try reboots and nothing changed.

This may sound stupid, but what about the scheduling tab, where you set the availability?

They are all set as always available.
Found out today doing a net share that no printers where listed, but on the wins server they all showed as being there even after a reboot, but none where available except to admin accounts and W2K clients.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back