Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Client's wireless connections refuse to work. Interference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mateo1041

MIS
Aug 19, 2003
US
Here's the story:

A client of mine was set up on an old wireless router (WEP, yuck!). They were having trouble and had to reset it periodically (once a week or so), so I suggested they purchase a new one.

So we purchased a new wireless router (WRT150N) along with USB wireless adapter for a remote PC that's about 50 feet away. They also have an attached PC and remote laptop. We've had nothing but problems with the laptop & remote PC adapter. The new wireless router works just fine with the attached PC (cabled), but wireless connections only stay connected for a few seconds at a time, if at all. I even tested the laptop right next to the wireless router and that's when the laptop started locking up.

I even purchased a wireless bridge & PCI card for the remote PC, but both of those had problems too. The laptop's connection works sporadically. The other night it even started locking up while booting up and when trying to access Windows connection settings.

They also recently purchased an Avocent LV3500W wireless extender to transmit video and keyboard/mouse to the attached PC. That's been having issues too where the video will go out at times or the keyboard frequently won't work.

Could some strange interference be the cause? I'm at a loss here. I've never encountered such weirdness before. And I'm positive everything is set up correctly.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks much,
- Matt

Blue Web Studios, LLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back