Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clients tagging BOLD instead of using a BOLD font quest 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg25

Technical User
May 30, 2001
US
I am working Prepress for a printing company

Clients are tagging the bold button to make a font bold

When I create PDF's or EPS's the font is coming out with multiple regular fonts one top of one another off setted a slight bit to simulate bold

Is there a way to change all the fonts that are tagged bold to the real bold font

I am working form Mac / PC FM 6 & 7
any suggestions are welcome

newbee to FM
Greg

K & G Design
kgdesign@warwick.net

The best way is to flog your clients until they do it correctly. ;-) This is something that most FrameUsers complain about - people using Frame like Word. The truth is, most people don't understand the difference between true bold (via character styles) and "fake" bold (via the button bar). They click the "B" button, their text looks bold on-screen, they see the text get darker and are satisfied that their word is now bold.

I suggest explaining the difference to them, and explain the possible problems with the button bar formatting tools. B I L L S W A L L O W
Information Design & Development Professional

Instead of flogging them, have someone remove offending formatting button from the interface using the ConfigCustomUIFile setting to point to a menu customization file. Sholmo Perets site at has a link at the top to download "FM Express Customization 3.02 (free)" that would simplify your clients work (and understanding of what it is they are actually doing). Much better than flogging.

Craig Ede
Los Jugadores Bazutadores

Removing the formatting button bar works in-house, but in this case I don't think this is a mandate that a publishing company can pass down to its clients.

In this scenario, the best the publishing shop can do is make it clear that clean formatting on the part of the client will get the best quality deliverable in return. You can lay it all out on the table for them, and explain what happens when improper formatting conventions are used. Then, leave it up to your clients to make the change to their workflows.

You can even provide suggestions on how to streamline their processes (like how to edit their interface, what type of fonts are best for what kinds of deliverables, and so on). But, I think it's in your best interest to make this known up-front and then leave it up to them whether or not to accept your helpful advice.

Of course, there's the other issue of clients sending source files to publishing shops. Why aren't they sending you PS or PDF in the first place?

[noevil] B I L L S W A L L O W
Information Design & Development Professional

If you have FrameScript, you could run a script that would automatically change manually formatted characters to character tags. Then if you have users who refuse to use anything but the toolbar, you just run this script before creating publication-ready deliverables.

There's a FrameScript user group on Yahoo ( In the files section of that group there's script that does this.

Rick Henkel
Documentation Systems Developer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back