Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clients running advertisements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paranoid

MIS
Dec 11, 2001
CA
Is there anyway to speed up the time in which a client can run an advertisement?

Thanks.

you can set the schedule for the advertisement to run

The programs are set to run as soon as possible and set at high priority.

Check the settings for "Advertised Program Client Agent" for the appropiate Site - maybe the settings there are too high for you ;)

Hope this helps !

Cheers,
Chris

Thanks, but the problem is not whether or how long it takes for the clients to receive the advertisement, but the delay between receiving the advertisement and running the program.

I am trying to run some programs overnight. Although all the clients receive the advertisement overnight some of the clients do not run the programs until a day or more later.

It shouldnt take that long to run the advertised program. When priority is set to high and the schedule is ASAP, then it usually takes 15 mins to run. Maybe you should try to schedule the exact time that it runs.

I have tried scheduling a time for the program to run. Same results. What I have noticed is that the programs seem to run quicker if a user is logged into the system even though the program is configured to run whether or not a user is logged onto the system.

Have you setup the client to automatically check for new advertised programs every so often? I think it can range from 15 mins to 24 hours.

The client is set up to check for new advertisements every 60 minutes (default). This should not matter, since the clients do receive the advertisements pretty much right away. The problem is the program is scheduled to run as soon as possible, but it does not.

OK, now we are getting closer to the problem....

Which SP level you are running your Sites ?
I know there is/was an issue concerning the option "Run as soon as possible" for the program in SP4 and SP4 HRP....

Hope this helps,
Chris

SP3.

I started this thread wondering if it is possible to manipulate how fast a program can run after receiving an advertisement. Now, I am beginning to wonder if perhaps this is the way SMS operates, and that the lag between receiving advertisement and running the program is not a bug/problem.

Originally, I thought that this may be due to the lack of distribution points on my site. However, I receive the same results/lag whether performing an install on a test bed consisting of a couple of clients, or onto our network consisting of a few hundred clients. Does anyone know what are the criteria that determine when a client runs a program?

Any incite would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I have same problem. I was told by an sms expert that it may be the fact that my SQL database is shared by other SQL databases. Microsoft reccomends that the SQL database has its own server.
I have yet to try moving the sms database. Iwould be interested to know if this in fact is the problem.
I try to push out a 325mb package to 80 clients overnight.
Only 50 complete by next morning. We are actually looking for another software package that will do a better job of this.

Smackew,

The SMS database resides on a dedicated server. Interested to know what kind of package you are pushing out, and whether or not a user is required for the program to be run.

325 MB is quite a large package. I suggest that you use couriered delivery for such packages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back