Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clients problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

holaquetal

Technical User
Sep 13, 2005
ES
Hello, we have migrate from two Netware 6.0 sp5 to a new cluster of two server with Netware 6.0 sp5, old servers exist in NDS but now are disconnected.
Tha problems is when clients log on NDS they recive a error LOGIN-LGWNT32.DLL-890: THE SPECIFIED SERVER IS UNKNOWN, after this error they can continue login.
In other way some clients has the error: Internal error 0x00008993 occurred. Try again.
If the error occurs again, restart your workstation and try again.
If the error persists, contact your network administrator.
They have to restart 3 or 4 times to get login.
The clients in windows xp and 2000 is 4.91 version. And for w98 is the 3.4
Thanks a lot.

As a rule, you should never disconnect servers from your network without removing them properly from Directory Services as this can cause all sorts of issues with Directory synchronisation. I would suggest removing the old servers cleanly from NDS as a priority as any attempt to perform NDS maintenance will probably fail as these servers cannot be communicated with

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

As the Lad said, you really need to properly remove servers from a tree before disconnectiong them from the network. Your tree is slowly degrading, will take about 2 years before it really causes a true problem.

The problem you are having with your clients is that they are looking for the old server. They can still log into your tree because they time out and find the other servers, but your still gunna get an error.

To give you instructions on what to do about the old servers, I need to know if you have the option to reconnect them and power them on or if they have already been disposed of (fdisked, donated, or tossed out a window)

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt Certified nut case [hippy]
Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple

Hello I have the option to reconnect the servers without problems, I think what I have to do is uninstall NDS in the servers trought nwconfig, is right??.
Do you really think that the second problem I exposed has the same source?? I was looking for this code (0x00008993) in Novell support and all the places I know without results.
Thanks.

Nwconfig is the right path to remove the old servers from the tree, but before you do, you need to do the NDS health check due to removing the server from the network in the first place.

Just going and removing them could cause further issues if the tree is inconsistant.

Then, remove any replicas that are on those servers (use NDSMgr or ConsoleOne to do this). This makes the removal much cleaner.

Then you can remove the servers from the tree.

When you are done, do another health check just to be anal.

May seem like a lot of work, but really takes less than 2 hours to complete (if that). hehe, you should see what AD admins have to deal with when somthing similar happens to thier network (can you crash and burn?). M$ is only recently comming out with tools that perform the same functions eDir has been doing for years. (my shamless plug to slam M$ for teh week).

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt Certified nut case [hippy]
Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back